About the Journal
The Journal of Urban Design and Mental Health is an open-access, peer-reviewed online journal exploring the links between urban design and mental health. This journal aims to share interesting ideas and evidence-based practical recommendations across the disciplines to inspire research where there are gaps, to bring new perspectives, and to help drive implementation of good ideas on the ground. Academics of all disciplines, as well as architects, urban planners, geographers, engineers, developers and people working in any other relevant disciplines are invited to contribute.
While we welcome papers on any relevant urban design and mental health topic, we also issue Call for Papers for a Themed Volume annually. Papers corresponding to the theme or other topics are welcome.
We publish original research articles, review articles, dialogue (analysis and op-eds), and case studies with a specific focus on the links between urban design and mental health. We are particularly interested in research with clear practical applications, and interesting ideas and case studies.
Formats for submission: https://journals.lib.sfu.ca/index.php/urbandesignmentalhealth/about/submissions
For all types of submission:
- We value clear, succinct writing that avoids specialist jargon and is accessible to people who work in a wide range of disciplines.
- Please submit a MS Word file.
- Please include a front page including:
- proposed title
- 200-word abstract (not required for Dialogue submissions)
- full names and affiliations of all authors
- corresponding email address
- Twitter details for authors to facilitate discussion of your paper on social media
- All submissions should have a specific focus on the links between urban design and mental health. Please review the scope of the journal above for details.
- All submissions should be fully referenced as appropriate with bracketed numbers throughout the text with references in APA format.
- Please include at least one relevant photograph, illustration, or other graphic (with description and any attributions).
- Please use the submission template for all resubmissions. First submissions may be submitted in any format.
- If ethics approval is relevant, details should be included.
- Please declare any funding and conflicts of interest. Please include a completed conflicts of interest disclosure form
- Please avoid specialist jargon to ensure that the papers are accessible to all.
- Currently this journal is published in English only, though we want to publish papers from a wide range of countries; abstracts in other languages are welcome.
- For further information about authorship criteria, please see the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) guidelines.
There are no charges for publishing. Authors retain copyright and publishing rights without restrictions and grant the journal right of first publication under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) License.