Instructions for Authors
Thank you for choosing to submit your paper to the Techne Academic Journal. These instructions will help you meet style and formatting requirements so that your paper can move through peer review, production, and publication smoothly. Please take the time to read and follow them as closely as possible, as doing so will ensure your paper matches the journal's requirements.
This journal uses PKP Open Journals System to peer review manuscript submissions. Complete guidelines for preparing and submitting your manuscript to this journal are provided below.
Techne encourages the submission of high quality empirical research. We would like authors to include enough detail to allow their research to be properly evaluated by reviewers, and where relevant and feasible, to be replicated by other researchers.
Once your paper has been assessed for suitability by the editors, it will then be double blind peer-reviewed by independent, anonymous expert referees.
Preparing your Paper
Please note that this journal only publishes manuscripts in English, with Canadian spelling preferred.
Manuscripts with word counts above 5000 words may be rejected by the editors before the peer review stage. It is expected that the word count will vary according to the purpose of the written piece, and further details are provided below.
Manuscripts should be compiled in the following order: title page (including Acknowledgements as well as Funding and grant-awarding bodies); abstract; keywords; main text; references; appendices (as appropriate); table(s) and figure(s) with caption(s) on individual pages. The following sections give guidelines on each of these. Manuscripts should not be uploaded as a single file containing all of the above, as explained in the next sections
Please include a word count for your paper.
A typical manuscript for this journal should be more than 3000 and no more than 5000 words; this limit does not include tables, figure captions, footnotes, endnotes, references.
A typical Book Review for this journal should be more than 1000 and no more than 2000 words; this limit includes references, footnotes, endnotes.
A typical Article Response for this journal should be more than 1000 and no more than 2000 words; this limit includes references, footnotes, endnotes.
Please review our aims and scopes page for research article suitability. If you have any questions, please email our editors.
Book reviews ought to critically evaluate a book's content and aims. Review essays are longer than a typical book review and generally cover multiple books on a related theme, comparing and contrasting them, and indicating their collective significance for the development of thinking in the field.
Books For Review
Papers should be submitted as Word documents.
Supplemental files should not be included in the main text document. Appendices should be uploaded as a separate document, with clear titles/captions as appropriate. Table(s) and figure(s) with caption(s) on individual pages should also be uploaded as a separate document. Please refer to page order under our Structure heading above. Author information will be removed by the editors before the peer review process begins.
Please do not include tables in the main text document. Tables must be uploaded as a separate document. There is no need to create a separate document for each table, but each table should be placed on a separate page. The main text should indicate the position of tables. Please use a sentence such as '[Insert Table 1 around here]', placed on a separate line.
Authors are encouraged to submit animations, movie files, sound files or any additional information for online publication. Please contact our editors directly if you word like to submit audio/video files.
Please use APA referencing style in a consistent and correct manner throughout the article. There are many web based applications to help you with this. The editors use Mendeley as an example.
Checklist: What to include
- Author details. Please include all authors' full names, affiliations, postal addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses on the title page. One author will need to be identified as the corresponding author, with their email address displayed in the article. Authors' affiliations are the affiliations where the research was conducted. If any of the named co-authors moves affiliation during the peer-review process, the new affiliation can be given as a footnote. Please note that no changes to affiliation can be made after your paper is accepted.
- A non-structured abstract between 100 and 250 words.
- Up to 6 keywords.
- Funding details. Please supply all details required by your funding and grant-awarding bodies as follows: For single agency grants: This work was supported by the [Funding Agency] under Grant [number xxxx]. For multiple agency grants: This work was supported by the [funding Agency 1]; under Grant [number xxxx]; [Funding Agency 2] under Grant [number xxxx]; and [Funding Agency 3] under Grant [number xxxx].
- Disclosure statement. This is to acknowledge any financial interest or benefit that has arisen from the direct applications of your research. Further guidance on what is a conflict of interest and how to disclose it.
- Biographical note. Please supply a short biographical note for each author. This could be adapted from your departmental website or academic networking profile and should be relatively brief.
- Using third-party material in your paper. You must obtain the necessary permission to reuse third-party material in your article. The use of short extracts of text and some other types of material is usually permitted, on a limited basis, for the purposes of criticism and review without securing formal permission. If you wish to include any material in your paper for which you do not hold copyright, and which is not covered by this informal agreement, you will need to obtain written permission from the copyright owner prior to submission. More information on requesting permission to reproduce work(s) under copyright.
Submitting Your Paper
This journal uses Open Journal Systems to manage the peer-review process. If you haven't submitted a paper to this journal before, you will need to create an account. Please read the guidelines above and then submit your paper in the relevant author centre.
There are no submission fees or page charges for this journal.
This journal publishes its articles in an open access format via PKP Open Journal Systems, making it free to access online immediately on publication.
Should you have any queries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org